On 8 March 1944, a P-51A Mustang, # 43-6119, assigned to 1st Air Commando Fighter Section, located at Hailakandi air field, departed on a combat mission to the enemy held Anisakan air strip. It was last seen over enemy territory returning to base at about 1535 hours NW of Anisakan. It had not been in any apparent trouble and no radio contact was made after last seen. It was flown by 1stLt Martin L. O’Berry Jr., 0-667750. A witness was 1stLt Younger A. Pitts, Jr., 0-025633.
1stLt Pitts reported: After the attack at Anisakan, they flew to a predetermined rendezvous. He saw 1stLt. O’Berry at the rendezvous. The flight departed the target area and they saw a number of enemy planes at Onbuak. An attack was made on the grounded enemy aircraft and the flight returned to base. He did not see Lt. O’Berry after the rendezvous.
O’BERRY, MARTIN LUTHER, JR., First Lieutenant, # 667750, USAAF
Martin L. O’Berry Jr. was born on 18 January 1918 to Martin L. O’Berry (1890-1959) and Alma Lucile (Harrell) Hutchison nee O’Berry (1892-1986). Siblings included Alma Lucile (O’Berry) Palmer (1913-1983) and Evelyn Ruth (O’Berry) Dowling (1914-2008) and two more sisters.
He registered for the WW II draft while employed by the Frigid Service Co., Birmingham, Jefferson County, Alabama. He described himself as 5’6”, 130 lbs, with brown hair and gray eyes. He enlisted 16 May 1941 at Fort McLellan, Alabama (enlisted service # 34103845) and was selected for officer cadet school and flight training. He completed pilot training as a fighter pilot and earned his commission and wings. He was sent overseas to India and assigned to the “special operations” 1st Commando Group, Fighter Section. On 8 March 1944, a P-51A Mustang, # 43-6119, assigned to 1st Air Commando Force Fighter Section, located at Hailakandi air field, departed on a top cover mission of the enemy held Anisakin air strip. 1stLt O’Berry’s fighter was last seen over enemy territory returning to base at about 1535 hours NW of Anisakan. It had not been in any apparent trouble and no radio contact was made after last seen. In 1959, the family placed a marker in the Edgewater New Smyrna Cemetery, Edgewater, Volusia County, Florida.